PUBLIC HEALTH (Food Handling) REGULATIONS 2000
As of September 1, 2000 the Public Health (Food Handling) Regulations made it mandatory for owners and/or operators of food handling establishments to apply to the Medical Officer (Health) for the parish in which they operate for a licence. Therefore, any person who is desirous of commencing or continuing with food handling activities is required to acquire a licence issued by the Medical Officer (Health).
Please be advised that the health department may prosecute owners and/or operators to ensure that they are in compliance with the Food Handling Regulations. However, the health department would rather assist you to comply with the Regulations than to take such drastic action(s). We look forward to your full cooperation and compliance with the Regulations.
WHAT ARE FOOD HANDLING ESTABLISHMENTS?
Any institution where food is prepared or sold for human consumption and includes a mobile cart or unit, a road side stand, a container in which food is prepared or from which food is sold, any place in a market from which ground provision, meat, poultry or fish is sold, a food processing or manufacturing plant, a broiler house or hatchery, a dairy, abattoir, a canteen or any coin operated food vending machine..
THE CERTIFICATION PROCEDURE
1. Every person who is desirous of operating a food-handling establishment shall apply, filling out an application form, to the Medical Officer (Health) in the parish in which the food-handling establishment is or is proposed to be established, for a licence to operate such and establishment.
2. Each applicant shall be accompanied by:
A. two (2) recent photographs of the applicant;
B. the appropriate application fee specified;
C. a plan showing the layout of the food-handling establishment and the equipment or other devices to be used therein; and, - such other particulars as the Medical Officer (Health) may require.
3. Where there are two (2) or more branches of a food-handling establishment, an application for a licence shall be made in respect of each branch in accordance with step #1.
4. Where there is a change in the ownership or operation of a food-handling establishment, an application for a licence shall be made in respect of each branch in accordance with step #1.
5. On receipt of an application, the Customer Service Representative will then carry out the tasks necessary to the final processing of the certificate.